Sunday 7 January 2018

Alcohol ink blues

I bought some alcohol inks the other day. This is the first piece I made with them.  (You're going to find a lot of blues on my blog this year. Just sayin'. )
I added Ranger alcohol inks in Aqua, Sailboat Blue, Indigo and Mermaid, plus some silver mixative, to some Ranger Inkssentials white Gloss Paper. I then stamped and white embossed the bouquet from Concord and 9th's "Hello Lovely", and then added a happy birthday sentiment from Hero Arts "Many Birthday Messages" white embossed onto vellum. I wrapped the vellum around the alcohol ink panel, then added some Pretty Pink Posh Sparkling Clear sequins.
I will be sharing this card at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge, where the theme is "Something New".
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-something-new-3/
OK, now a question for those of you who have used alcohol inks a lot more than I have. The silver and gold mixatives both rub off on my fingers, and then I end up putting fingerprints on my white card base. Is there something I can spray over the top to seal this all in, so the card recipient won't end up with the mixative all over their hands, but won't mess with my ink? I have looked at a few YouTube videos, and one suggested Krylon Kamar varnish, but I haven't been able to find it (yet). I'd really appreciate it if you could share anything you've found useful!

Thanks for visiting :)

19 comments:

  1. Wow! This really caught my eye! Love the blues with silver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW, what a stunning card! I love the colours and the alcohol ink background is beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. your card is gorgeous, Michelle. sorry can't help with the metallic problem as i've never had it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Michelle, the colours are stunning, sorry I can't help with a solution for the mixatives. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card, Michelle. What a wonderful blend of blues and silver! I don't have enough experience to answer your question. I know in the past when using chalks people said to give it a shot of hair spray to seal. Wonder if that might work until you can find some varnish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...maybe look on the Tim Holtz website and reach out to them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is your first card with these inks?! You look like a pro. This is absolutely stunning, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing background. Love it. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Something New Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walmart of all places carries Krylon Kamar finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All Ranger mixitives contain a small ball in each bottle. Sometimes the ball gets stuck on the bottom. One must shake the bottle until the bead thoroughly mixes the paint. Perhaps your bottles were not mixed sufficiently.

    Your cards are beautiful. There are many techniques to enjoy with AI. Your off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I definitely mixed up the bottle very well before I used it, and I've found the same issue with both Ranger and Pinata mixatives. I'm more into adding foil over the top, anyway - not using the mixatives much these days! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  12. When you do find the varnish, be sure to make the first layer of spray, a very light misting! Just a quick spray from a couple of feet away. Allow that to dry, then you can add another layer of spray. If the first spray is too heavy, it will mix with the AI and could totally change the look of your beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous 1st attempt! Me, not so much ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your videos and I'm loving them! For your question - Krylon Crystal Clear will seal the surface and not harm the alcohol inks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K01303007-Acrylic-Crystal-11-Ounce/dp/B00023JE7K/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=final+fixative&qid=1568852337&s=hi&sr=1-3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I was just wondering what ink pad you used for the embossing? I tried to do similar but the ink just didn’t stick to the alcohol ink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found my Krylon on Amazon. I noticed the metallic rubs off too! Guess I will be sealing cards when or if I use a metallic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aerosol hair spray has been used to seal artwork for years. And it's probably your cheapest option too.
    Only use aerosol, not the pump bottle kind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they always make my day!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) in the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.